"Repetition is the mother of all trips"

For the last few days I've been on the road with Dimitra Galani and Vassilikos. We played two concerts. One in Cyprus and one in Patra. Last night I decided to leave Patra straight after the show and return to Athens. Kostas Vamvoukas (FOH sound engineer) who's one of my mentors and has helped me evolve as a a musician and as a human being joined me on this venture. As I was driving he chose to become my personal dj and played his cds for about an hour. His dj set started with the following track.




He reminded me of a great movie, a great score and a great composer who I hadn't listened to for a while. The movie is called "The Sheltering Sky". It is a Bernardo Bertolucci film. Ryuichi Sakamoto composed the score. It is probably one of my top movie themes.

Five years ago, an other great friend of mine Hector shared his great music knowledge with me and introduced me to an artist called Alva Noto. Alva Noto's albums literally broadened my musical horizons and taught my ears to listen and respect the mystery of repetition. "Repetition is the mother of  all trips" he told me and he was right. 

Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto have collaborated in the past and gave us some great works. You should definitely check them out. Enjoy.


Yours, Serafeim









Ps1.  Here's a great cover they did on Brian Eno's masterpiece "By this river".

Ps2.  Here's a great cover they did on Jobim's masterpiece "Insensatez".

Ps3.  Watch them perform live as a duo.

Ps4.  Watch them perform live with the Ensemble Modern.


0 σχόλια: Post a Comment