Tomorrow never knows

Once again, listening to classic rock inspired me to write this post. In fact, I was listening to an album called "Revolver" by a band called "the Beatles". If you haven't heard of them, you can check them out on myspace or facebook. It is what the music journalists call "fresh sound". The track that actually intrigued me was "Tomorrow never knows".





If this song was written and published today, Pitchfork would probably classify it as fresh, innovative and groundbreaking and all of its intellectual readers would consider it as their holy grail for 2011. The journalist would probably go on and analyze how the Beatles were actually influenced by the likes of Caribou, or Beck, or the breakbeat scene.

The knowledge someone acquires while digging into tradition, is quite mind-boggling. It gives you a really clear image of evolution, inspires you and makes you realize, once you get over the initial shock, that the most groundbreaking leaps in music and art in general have been achieved in the past.

However, that shouldn't worry you. You should just enjoy the ride, get inspired, steal, or even just recreate some of the past's masterpieces. The knowledge you will acquire from this magic ride will take you one step closer to what people call maturity.

As I get older, I seem to acknowledge  the fact, that what most people mean when pronouncing the word "maturity", doesn't  actually represent my way of thinking, living and interpreting the mystery of life. With the little experience that I possess, I can bravely state that maturity is a reverse process for me. Rather than taking steps forward, I seem to travel back to past ways of thinking and acting. Returning in my more primitive days and trusting my instincts, instead of logic. Through this process I realize, that I get much closer to personal freedom, which to me is the purpose of maturity. 

But, enough with the toilet-philosophy.

One of my favorite 2010-2011 releases was Tame Impala's "InnerSpeaker". Tame Impala are a psychedelic pop band from Australia with very distinct influences. Australia as a country is a very good example of the things I just talked about. Several kick-ass bands have emerged from Australia and all of them seem to have one thing in common. They don't care about pushing the sonic boundaries forward and becoming musical innovators. They just want to play the music they love and enjoy the ride. And that's it. The fact that they are so cool, is probably explained by the following sentence: 

"Australia is the flattest continent, with the oldest and least fertile soils; desert or semi-arid land commonly known as the outback makes up by far the largest portion of land. The driest inhabited continent, only its south-east and south-west corners have a temperate climate. The population density, 2.8 inhabitants per square kilometre, is among the lowest in the world, although a large proportion of the population lives along the temperate south-eastern coastline."

They have more serious problems to worry about... Enjoy.



Yours, Serafeim








Ps. Here's a killer track from their first ep. The song is called "Half full glass of wine".





0 σχόλια: Post a Comment